CRNA - Main Campus Boston, MA
Position Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 3/22/2018
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Description: Massachusetts General Hospital
Education: Masters Degree
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
JOB ID: 3045474
Under general supervision of the Clinical Director (Anesthesia trained, MGH clinical staff) incumbent provides anesthesia services to patients. Reviews patients’ medical history, assists in selection of type of anesthesia, administers anesthetic, monitors patient during procedure, and provides immediate post-anesthesia care. Incumbent is responsible for supplying documentation of continued registration as a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist).
Under the medical direction of an Anesthesiologist the CRNA may:
- Obtain health and medical history, perform physical examination, and construct problem lists
- Collect, record, and interpret patient data
- Order appropriate laboratory, radiologic, and other diagnostic studies Interpret studies performed/ordered
- May initiate consultation and referrals
- Assess patients to determine need for physician attention
- Provide direct patient care before, during, and after procedures requiring anesthesia
- Make professional decisions for anesthesia care based upon a comprehensive health assessment
- Maintain professional standards of health care before, during, and after an anesthetic
- Prepare and evaluate the safety of anesthetic equipment, supplies and drugs Insert invasive monitoring lines required for patient care during anesthesia and interpret the data
- Provide administration of general anesthesia (intravenous/inhalation), neuraxial anesthesia, regional anesthesia and monitored anesthesia care to appropriate patients
- Assess, interpret and treat physiologic responses to anesthesia that include oxygenation, circulation, ventilation, temperature and metabolism
- Provide postoperative analgesia for pain management
Obtain informed consent for the following anesthesia and related procedures:
- General anesthesia
- Monitored anesthesia care
- Neuraxial anesthesia
- Regional anesthesia
- Arterial lines
- Central venous lines
- Pulmonary artery catheters
- Blood Transfusion
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists are licensed, registered, advanced practice nurses who have completed a post graduate certificate or a master’s degree in anesthesia.
- Nurse anesthetists must become certified by successfully completing a national qualifying examination in the specialty of anesthesia.
- To maintain their license to practice anesthesia, CRNAs must be re-certified biannually by attending 40 hours of continuing education programs.
- Have knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology as related to anesthesia.
- Have the ability to take direction from and work with personnel at all levels of the organization
- Possess a strong sense of initiative and perseverance to carry through to completion of tasks ability to take ownership and responsibility for activities Possess skills to work efficiently and effectively and strive to do so in all aspects of position
- Have the ability to utilize appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Possess excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to work effectively with clinicians, administrators, and other professionals Have cultural competence and compassion for patient population
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct demonstrate forthrightness and integrity Be highly motivated, independent and capable of performing in a complex environment Have the ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff
EEO STATEMENT: Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Level: Entry Level, Experienced
Job Reference: 3045474
How To Apply: If you are interested in being considered for this job opportunity, please visit www.mghcareers.org and apply for JOB ID: 3045474
Company Address: 55 Fruit Street Boston, MA 02114
Company Web Site: